Monday, March 14, 2011

Beer yeast bread starters

As a home-brewer who hasn't brewed in a few years I had some old yeast kicking around in the fridge and I thought I would make some mother starters for bread. I've never done this before and I'm not sure if it will work. If anything I will have some sort of sourdough starter when I'm finished.

Beer yeast and flour starters for bread.

Belgian B

• 100g of bread flour
• 3g Light dried malt extract
• 1 vial of Belgian Saison WLP565 White Labs expired May 16th 2007
• 3 vials of R/O water aprox 90g

Yeast was actually carbonated when I opened it and is showing a lot of activity. The cake was marbled and I am expect the most from this batch.


Chico Mother

• 100g of bread flour
• 3g Light dried malt extract
• 1 vial of WLP001 California Ale White Labs Expired Nov. 20 2006
• 3 vials of R/O water aprox 90g

No activity from the vial I have it in a bowl and wrapped in plastic wrap and rubber-band

Hefe B
• 100g of bread flour
• 3g of Light dried malt extract
• 1 vial of WLP320 American Hefeweizen Yeast White Labs Expired June 29th 2007
• 3 vials of R/O water aprox 90g

No activity from the vial I have it in a bowl and wrapped in plastic wrap and rubber-band

I will also make a control starter with 1 tsp active yeast, 3g of Light DME and 100g of flour and 120g water.

After 3 hours and not much going on I decided I will put them on top of the fridge and check them tomorrow. I am getting some bubbles from all three and the Chico seems to be the most active. The control took off like crazy so I am going to use it for a dinner bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment